CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Always Remember 11/18/99

Today marks the 9th anniversary of the Bonfire tragedy. Time really does fly by. I can remember where I was and what I was doing on the exact morning that I found out. I was in the 9th grade and was getting ready to go off to school that morning. The TV was on while I was eating breakfast and one of the major national news channels was reporting that the bonfire had fallen. I had no ties to A&M then, except that my grandfather had attended there for 2 years, but I felt a sense of sadness for everyone involved. I still get chills watching the footage and thinking back on the sadness that must have filled campus, as well as the entire Aggie community. I had no idea, on that day, that 5 years later I would become a part of the Aggie Family. There is no way to begin to explain the sense of connection that all Aggies share. The age old saying really holds true: "From the outside looking in you can't understand it. From the inside looking out you can't explain it." This video that I found on You Tube is a great depiction of the tradition of bonfire and what it means to all Aggies.



On another note...we had an exciting weekend. After picking out appliances for our new house, Clay, Jonathan and I headed to Katy to watch Lockhart play Huntsville in the first round of the playoffs. It was one of the more exciting high school games I've seen with several ties and lead changes, but Lockhart came out on top for their first playoff victory in over 30 years. So this weekend we are headed back to Katy to watch Lockhart play Beaumont Central. Here's hoping this game proves to be as good, if not better, than the last one! Go Lions Go!

1 comments:

Clay said...

Meg, I really enjoyed reading this blog. The first half speaks volumes about the Aggie Spirit... Looking forward to another exciting saturday night in Katy! Love you!